08 September 2016, 01:00
08 September 2016, 01:00
Saga launches trip planner to help over 50s save money
• One in five over 50s stay overnight at a hotel before going on holiday
• Saga has launched a new website which offers customers a range of discounts
Research by Saga Travel Insurance shows that the over 50s are keen to start their holiday as early as possible as one in five say they stay at an airport hotel the night before they head abroad*. In fact, this is becoming more popular as one in six people say they are more likely to do this now than they were three years ago.
The most common reasons to head to the airport the day before are because of early departures (60%) and because people are worried that they will get stuck in traffic and miss their flight (24%). Some 4% of over 50s say they head to the airport in advance so they can start their holiday early.
However, one in 14 savvy over 50s say they stay at an airport hotel before their trip because it means they save money on parking. Saga understands that saving money on things like airport parking and care hire may leave people with more spending money, which is why it has launched a new online trip planner which offers Saga customers a range of discounts. For instance, people will get a 10% discount if they book an airport hotel stay with parking via Saga’s trip planner website.
The website also helps holidaymakers prepare for their trip as people can use the website to countdown to departure date, check the weather forecast at their chosen destination and plan what they are going to see and do while they’re abroad.
Roger Ramsden, Chief Executive, Saga Services, commented: “We have launched our new trip planner to help our customers save money on things like airport hotel stays and airport parking which will leave them with more cash to spend on souvenirs. We’re expecting to see lots of over 50s head overseas over the next couple of weeks as September is the most popular time for our customers to travel as many wait until the children go back to school before they head abroad.”
Notes to Editors:
*Populus interviewed 8,161 Saga customers, all aged 50 and over, online between 19th and 25th July 2016. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. For more information visit www.populus.co.uk.
About Saga Travel Insurance
Saga Travel Insurance is a Which? Recommended provider and Defaqto 5 Star rated. It offers wide-ranging cover including:
• Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
• Up to £10 million emergency medical cover, which can pay for your return home, if necessary
• Up to £10,000 cover (per person, per trip) should you or your travelling companion have to cancel or abandon your trip
• Up to £5,000 for lost, stolen or damaged baggage so you’re not left out of pocket
• 24-hour English-speaking travel assistance helpline for advice before and while you are away.
• Saga has no upper age limit
• For more information about Saga Travel Insurance, please visit http://www.saga.co.uk/travelinsurance