20 September 2023, 11:00
Taking the misery out of January – Saga Travel Group sees an 85% increase in getaways
20 September 2023: It’s fair to say that January in the UK is a miserable month, with the joy of Christmas in the past and Spring seemingly a long way off. But Saga Travel Group is witnessing a new trend in savvy travellers refusing to accept their lot of cold, dark days, who are instead heading off on holiday at a time when the travel industry is traditionally very quiet.
The brand, which encompasses Titan Travel, Escorted Touring by Saga, Tailor-Made independent holidays and Saga Holidays’ hosted hotel stays, has seen an 85% year-on-year increase to date in its January 2024 bookings versus January 2023 across its portfolio.
John Constable, CEO of Saga Travel Group, said: “January is traditionally a quieter period for travel, but this year we’re witnessing a new trend and have seen an 85% uplift in overseas bookings to escape the UK’s most miserable month.
“Savvy travellers are cottoning on to January as the perfect month to travel – it gives them something to look forward to after Christmas, it helps avoid the cold and dark and, by the time they’re home, they’re a step closer to Spring.
“There are also some fantastic deals available as it’s off-peak for the travel industry - we have some from as low as £549 for seven nights all-inclusive, and our guests often get added extras such as transfers included. For those in the know who have the freedom to get away, January really is a brilliant time to travel.”
Top destinations for the brand in January are unsurprisingly in warm, interesting regions such as Costa Rica, South Africa, India, Malaysia, Thailand and Japan for long haul travel, and places such as Cyprus, mainland Spain and the Canary Islands for short haul.
Saga and Titan Travel have some great offers that will make it hard to think of any reasons not to get away. Here’s a few examples:
- Titan Travel has a Japanese Winter Wonderland tour starting from £3,995 per person departing on 26 January 2024. Over 12 days the tour covers Japan’s wintery highlights, beginning first in the ancient capital of Kyoto with a guided tour showcasing the hidden treasures of the city, before taking the bullet train to Nagano and staying in a traditional Japanese hotel in Yudanaka. There’s also an excursion to see the famous snow monkeys enjoying the hot springs in the Jigokudani Monkey Park. This is followed by two days in Tokyo, including one day with a complete city tour and the next as free time to explore. The tour culminates in Sapporo for the city’s outstanding Snow Festival - a display of around 250 giant snow and ice sculptures. The £3,995pp price includes flights, 11 meals, 10 excursions and two days of free time to explore or join in with Titan’s optional excursions. Visit www.titantravel.co.uk for more information and call 0808 258 0822 to book.
- January departures for Titan Travel’s Jewels of Spain tour start from £1,595 per person. Travelling across Valencia, Murcia and Andalucia over 15 days, the tour starts in the small town of Albir, and from there takes in rural villages and bustling cities all with full guided tours to appreciate the architecture, culture and food along the way. Highlights include a guided tour of Valencia’s old town, a visit to the ancient city of Cartagena, and the awe-inspiring UNESCO-listed Alhambra Palace. In-between days will be at beachfront properties, for some relaxation. The price includes flights, 41 meals, 14 nights in hotels, nine excursions and five days of free time. Visit www.titantravel.co.uk for more information and call 0808 258 0822 to book.
- Escorted Touring by Saga offers a Wild Costa Rica tour departing on either 9, 13 or 16 January 2024 from Gatwick for just £4,715 per person. As a destination famed for its incredible flora and fauna, this tour takes in all the key highlights with opportunities to see everything from sloths to howler monkeys, and tapirs to quetzals. Starting in the Capital of San Jose with a tour of the city, the trip then heads to Tortuguero, Monteverde, Carara National Park; Manuel Antonio National Park, La Tirimbina Biological Reserve, Arenal, Rancho Heliconia, Curi-Cancha Cloud Forest, Corcovado National Park and San Gerardo de Dota. Included excursions cover crocodile and bird spotting, boat trips, wildlife cruises, treks through cloud forests, night walks in reserves that are rich with the region’s incredible species. Included is Saga’s VIP door-to-door travel service, travel insurance, 14-nights in a hotel, flights, and 32 meals. For more information visit travel.saga.co.uk and to book call 0808 304 6693.
Saga Holidays Hotel Stays - all hotel stay bookings made before 30 September 2023 will receive a free lounge pass and £50 off for travel before 31 January 2023:
- Enjoy 14-nights all-inclusive at the Hotel Cleopatra, Sharm el Sheikh from £1,649 per person (based on two people sharing) for departures on 3, 10, 17, 24 or 31 January 2024. This includes flights from Gatwick and a free upgrade to a sea view for guests who choose a pool view room. For more information visit travel.saga.co.uk and to book call 0800 9885 886.
- Take a 10-night break from just £849 per person (based on two people sharing) at the beautiful Monte Mar hotel in Madeira departing on 22 or 29 January 2024. The price includes flights, accommodation and two free nights at the hotel. For more information visit travel.saga.co.uk and to book call 0800 9885 886.
- Saga Holidays is offering seven-nights all-inclusive at the Port Denia hotel in Spain from just £549 per person (based on two people sharing) departing on 9, 10, 16, 17 or 23 January 2024. This includes flights from London Gatwick. For more information visit travel.saga.co.uk and to book call 0800 9885 886.
While the brand’s hosted hotel stays and Escorted Touring by Saga trips are for people over-50, its Titan tours and Tailor-Made independent holidays are available for anyone to book.
For further information, please email email@example.com.
Images of Saga Travel Group’s holidays can be found at the Saga Newsroom.
Costa Rica National Parks, Nature & Wildlife with beach extension - HeroDownload